Balestier: Historic Landmarks with Stories to Tell
About Balestier is located in central Singapore and is near Serangoon, Novena and Bendemeer districts. To many Singaporeans, Balestier is a haven for good local fare, apart from being a residential and industrial area. There are, however, more interesting facts to Balestier. Balestier is historically rich with many places and buildings that have stories to tell.
History This district was named after Joseph Balestier, the first United States Consul of Singapore whom resided in Singapore in early 1800s. He owned a 1,000-acre sugarcane plantation, which produced sugar and rum. This plantation was known as Balestier Plantation, and was located at Balestier Plain. Balestier was forced to sell of his plantation following an industrial downfall and the death of his wife, Maria Revere Balestier. Balestier returned to the United States soon thereafter.
Goh Chor Tua Pek Kong Temple (Wu Cao Da Bo Gong Gong) Located at 249 Balestier Road , the Goh Chor Tua Pek Kong Temple (Wu Cao Da Bo Gong Gong) was b uilt in 1847. This temple was and still is the main focus of the Chinese populace in Singapore.
Art Deco Shophouses Located at 230 & 246 Balestier Road, these decorated shop houses were built in 1920s and were popular between 1930 and 1960. Walk past these quaint shophouses and imagine how our immigrants lived.
Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Located at 12 Tai Gin Road, the Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall used to be the headquarters of the Chinese Revolutionary Alliance in Southeast Asia.
Former Shaw Brothers Studio Located at 8 Jalan Ampas, the former Shaw Brothers Studio was built in 1937. The Japanese utilized this studio to broadcast propaganda films during WW II.