Acne can be an embarrassing affliction and often times you have a breakout at the worst possible moment like when you are going out on a date or have an important meeting to attend. While there is no known cure for acne there are some simple strategies that you can do to help prevent acne breakouts.
1. Use a gentle face cleanser. No a cleanser is not soap. Soap can dry and irritate the skin which can lead to breakouts which you hardly want. Gentle is the keyword here so use a gentle cleanser twice daily without scrubbing or hard rubbing. A good cleaning routine can help keep your pores clear and clean. If you think that cleaning your face more often will mean it will be cleaner your wrong. Cleaning your face too often can cause more irritation and breakouts so be patient if you are currently facing a breakout as more cleaning won't clear your skin quicker. When washing your face it is a good idea to use warm water to rinse.
2. You have probably heard this a million times before from your parents but don't pop, pinch or squeeze your pimples. While you want to get rid of the visible signs of your acne as quickly as possible popping them or squeezing them isn't going to do you or your skin any long term good. Not only can it lead to scarring which can be just as worse as having breakouts but it can also irritate your skin leading to further breakouts and the cycle begins again. If you have the urge to pick or squeeze your pimples the simple answer is don't.
3. Use medication. If you are suffering from regular acne breakouts and the regular acne treatments you find at the local drug store not helping then you will want to consider seeking medical advice. Doctors will be able to assess your acne condition and prescribe suitable acne medication ranging from topical solutions to anti-bacterial drugs. Doctors can also refer you to a dermatologist which can work with you to prevent acne breakouts.
4. Use sun protection at all times. With the use of medication to help control your acne you are going to be susceptible to the sun and be more sensitive then usual. You will want to always put on a good quality sunscreen before leaving home and to reapply during the day to help protect your skin. When picking a sunscreen look for ones that are oil free for sensitive skins. Wear a hat whenever possible to help shield your face from direct sun exposure and avoid being in the sun for extended periods like at the beach or sitting in the park. There are myths that suggest sun exposure can help reduce your acne breakouts, as far as medical evidence goes there is no supporting study to suggest that sun exposure has any links to the reduction of acne and at worse may even lead to increasing your likelihood of skin cancer so don't risk it.
5. Exercise regularly. You should be trying to exercise regularly each week anyway for overall health and vitality but exercise can also assist with reducing your acne breakouts. Exercise has long been known to help reduce stress and anxiety and this will help reduce acne as one of the causes can often be due to heightened stress levels. Exercising also serves to help cleanse your pores through sweating but you need ensure that you wipe of excess sweat and try to have a shower after strenuous exercise.