0
First public drinking fountain 'for the use of all nations'

The auctioneer John Gemmill donated the public drinking fountain which originally stood in Raffles Place in 1864 but is now relocated in the grounds of the National Museum.

The inscription in the fountain reads:

For the use of all nations
At
SINGAPORE
This Drinking fountain
Of pure water is the gift of
John GEMMILL
Formerly of this island
And now of London
1864

The fountain still works. Water spurts from the mouth of the lion when a button is pressed.

Gemmill Lane off Club Road in Chinatown was named after John Gemmill.

Getting to National Museum Of Singapore, 93 Stamford Road

Click to share this Article »
0
Send this article