0
The Mosque (previously the reception hall) of the Temenggong Abdul Rahman whose tomb is in the Royal Mausoleum where a Rajah of Pahang, Rhio, and Lingga Empire is also buried.

Sir Stamford Raffles returned to Singapore three years after the founding of the Settlement. He was displeased with the progress it had made under Major Farquhar, the Resident of Singapore. This was in 1822. Raffles therefore appointed a committee to reorganise the Town and to decide where the different races ought to settle.

On March 1823 Raffles arranged for the Temenggong Abdul Rahman who signed the preliminary Treaty with Raffles in 1819 to establish the Settlement and his followers to vacate the village (kampong) at the mouth of the Singapore River and resettle in a new village (Kampong Bahru) in Telok Blangah. This was Singapore's first urban renewal project.

The Temenggong's new area stretched from Tanjong Pagar to Telok Blangah and covered approximately 200 acres of land. He built his house here and on his new land he grew spices, fruit and gutta percha. He became prosperous.

The Temenggong's Istana (palace) was demolished. Later the Batu Shoe Factory occupied the site. The factory no longer exists but has been replaced by other modern buildings. The present Mosque which belongs to the Government of Johore (Masjid Kerjaan Johor) was previously a reception hall of the Temenggong's residence.

Next to the Mosque on a hillock is the Royal Mausoleum; it includes the royal tomb of the Rajah of old Pahang Johore, Rhio and Lingga Empire. Temenggong Abdul Rahman who died in 1825 is also buried there and the various tombstones in the Mausoleum are indicated in a legend placed against a wall.

In front and behind the Mausoleum among numerous other graves is the special bathing area (now covered with dense trees) of Temenggong Abdul Rahman. There was a running stream which flowed from Blangah Hill (Mount Faber) to the bathing enclosure.

Singaporeans who pass Telok Blangah Road just before they reach the World Trade Centre will easily recognize the two buildings between Kampong Bahru Road and Temenggong Road. In the Mausoleum is the Tomb of Temenggong Abdul Rahman who made it possible in 1819 for Raffles to establish a British Settlement in Singapore

Getting to Masjid Temenggong Daeng Ibrahim, 30 Telok Blangah Road

Click to share this Article »
0
Send this article