The first thing you need to know is how to make your own 100% healthy and natural vanilla extract. You can choose to buy this from stores if you can find a good brand. To make your own, you’ll only need about a quart of milk (1000ml), a vanilla bean, and a teaspoon of honey.
(Vanilla Extract Recipe)
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat on high while you slice the vanilla bean lengthwise and in half. Place the halves of the vanilla bean into the milk.
- Boil for around 15 to 20 minutes, then cook on medium heat for a half hour or until the milk has a thin sheet of film on top. Stir the mixture constantly as it cooks to prevent burning.
- Cool the extract and freeze in a plastic bottle or container. This extract will last you for quite a while, since recipes call for only a few teaspoons each.
(Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe)
You’ll need: 3 eggs, with the egg whites and yolks separated, 1/2 cup honey, 4 cups light cream, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- In a medium size bowl beat the yolks until smooth. Gradually add honey, beating until well-blended and thick. In a different small bowl beat the egg whites until stiff, stir beaten whites in with the yolk and honey.
- Then add the cream and egg mixture together in a saucepan, cook on medium heat, stirring constantly for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and either process the mixture in an ice cream maker or just freeze in a bucket container overnight. Serve with an ice cream scoop.
This will create a rich, creamy, natural, and very healthy ice cream that I’m sure you’ll enjoy.
You can opt to fold in 1 to 2 cups of fresh or frozen fruit, nuts and/or chocolate before returning the ice cream to the freezer to finish freezing.
Here are some ideas for different additions to your ice cream:
Strawberries, peaches, mango cubes, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, diced bananas, chocolate chip cookie dough and even caramel or sugar-free chocolate fudge syrup (carefully fold in small spoonfuls at a time into the ice cream)
An example of vanilla + chocolate fudge syrup ice cream mixture:
Feel free to mix and match as you like, and don't feel afraid to experiment! Possibilities are endless!
With this recipe, perhaps you would never need to buy overly sweet and pricey ice cream ever again!
Why not make this a fun family activity, and let your children help you out?
We hope that this article proves helpful to you.