0
Once residence of Manasseh Meyer the well-known Singapore Jew, pioneer and philanthropist.

Belle Vue House was erected by Singapore's first architect Coleman in 1842 for Dr Oxley, the well-known government surgeon in the 1830s. Dr Oxley also owned the nutmeg plantation on the hill which was named after him.

In 1857 Dr Oxley left Singapore. The house was eventually bought over by Sir Manasseh Meyer, the eminent Jew who added a second wing to the residence which was within walking distance to his private synagogue, the Chased EI Synagogue built in 1905. The Manasseh Meyer family still occupy Belle Vue House, Oxley Rise.

Before Manasseh Meyer purchased the House it was acquired and converted into a boarding house for the Anglo-Chinese School at Coleman Street. The board of Trustees of the Boarding School included prominent Chinese businessmen Tan Jiak Kim, Tan Hap Seng and Tan Boo Liat.

Getting to Belle Vue Residences, 15 Oxley Walk

Click to share this Article »
0
Send this article