0
Another Temple to sustain our cultural heritage.

Guan Yin Tang was built in 1880 by a Taoist by the name of Wong Guan Teck who hailed from Hainan. The hill site was selected because it stood between the sea and a hill at its rear.

The roof has a blazing pearl and two dancing dragons symbolizing strength and power of the deities. A hall was built in 1892.

Altars for Buddha, Guan Yin, the Monkey God, the Gods of War and Literature and the Goddess of Birth are found in the Temple. Idols found in other altars include those of the Sun God and Wei Tuo, the military Bodhisattva.

In the 19th and early 20th century the Temple must have been a distinct land mark overlooking the sea when there were no high rise buildings in front as well as in the rear. However, its significance, its cultural and historical heritage and spiritual is still strong for its devotees in the neighbourhood and elsewhere.

Getting to Ban Siew Temple, 2 Telok Blangah Drive

Click to share this Article »
0
Send this article