A fine example of a hospital founded to serve the Cantonese community in 1910 now serves patients of all ethnic groups in Singapore truly reflecting our development towards nationhood.

Kwong Wai Shiu was established in 1910 to serve the Cantonese community in Singapore. In a hall in the administration section of the Hospital the photographs of the founders of the Hospital are prominently displayed.

In the past Kwong Wai Shiu only admitted Cantonese as in-patients. It was at an extraordinary meeting on 11 March 1973 that the constitution of the Hospital was amended to admit in-patients from all ethnic groups. On 15 June 1974 the new policy came into force.

Today Kwong Wai Shiu is a modern hospital comprising 14 blocks 8 of them wards for 425 patients. Three of the blocks which can be easily recognized by their architecture were built for the old Tan Tock Seng Hospital. The foundation stone for the new building was laid on 13 December 1959 by Leung Yun Chee.

Today there are 4 medical officers, 2 Chinese physicians and 150 nurses and other employees.

Kwong Wai Shiu is a fine example of communal hospital opening its doors to all communities in a multi-racial and multi-cultural country. Truly this is a reflection of our evolvement towards nationhood.