Elgin Bridge built because of increased business in the South of the Singapore River and construction of North and South Bridge Roads.

The first bridge across the Singapore River was a wooden one; it was called Presentment Bridge. The Presentment Bridge was augmented by a ferry service to facilitate more persons crossing the River because of the narrowness of the bridge.

By the 1840s the Presentment Bridge divided the road that was constructed into North Bridge Road and South Bridge Road.

By the turn the century more business was carried on in the South of the Bridge and the Chinese called South Bridge Road Tuo Po (big town in Fujian) and North Bridge Road Sio Po (small town).

The Bridge underwent reconstruction three times and the present Bridge, Elgin Bridge, was named after a former Viceroy of India. It was built in 1925.