Gazetted as national monument on 23 March 1989 Another example of the 'March of Methodism' in Singapore.

Benjamin F. West a medical doctor had his clinic in rented premises in Japan Street renamed Boon Tat Street; there he not only had his medical practice but he also practiced as a Chistian missionary; he had converted some of his patients to Chiristianity. It was in 1889 that he was appointed to head the Chinese Christian work and later in 1897 the Reverend Ling Ching Mi of the Foochow Conference was sent to charge of the Chinese missionary work in Singapore. In 1901 Reverend W.G. Shellabear arrived with two Chinese pastors. One Hokkien speaking and the other Foochow to head the missionary work among the Chinese.

In 1913 the congregation moved from the rented shophouse to worship in the Fairfield Methodist Girl's School in Neil Road. As the number of worshippers increases it was felt that a distinct; church should be built for the Telok Ayer congregation. A piece of land was purchased and the present Church was built on it. The corner stone was laid on 9 January 1924 and the French firm of Bross and Mogin were the architects.

Architecturally the building represents the eclectic style, the 'Singapore eclectic', a combination of Eastern and Western influences. This particular style was fashionable during the period between 1928 and 1930 when many houses were built with this type of architecture. Such houses are located in various parts of Singapore including Katong, Jalan Besar and Emerald Hill.

The Church has a colonnade ground floor with the exterior of the Roman Doric and Tuscan order; it has a flat roof with a Chinese pavilion on it; the windows are quasi Venetian and Chinese.

In the early 20th century members of the Church provided welfare service to those in the neighbourhood; this included writing letters in Chinese (for the illiterate) to their relatives in China.

During World War II the Church was used as a refugee camp for about 300 persons and the descendants of some of there are members of the Church today. To protect the refugees a special front wall was built to the Church building; it remains today to remind the congregation of the Japanese Occupation.

Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church celebrated its centenary on 23 March 1989. The Church represents another lap in the 'March of Methodism' in Singapore when congregation speaking Chinese dialects, English, Malay and Tamil appeared in different parts of Singapore.