Yua Hai Qing Miao means the 'Temple of the Calm Sea built by the Guanzhou people'. Phillip Street was then close to the sea. This is one of the oldest Taoist Temples in Singapore an it began as a small shrink like the Temple in Telok Ayer Street as early as 1826. The present Temple was built in the 1850s; it was both a Temple and Teochew Clan Association.
This Temple had close ties with China since its inception. The imperial signboard in the Temple premises proves this; Emperor Guang Xu of the Qing dynasty presented this to the Abbot of the Temple.
Statues of the Heavenly Father (Yuan Tian Shang Di) and the Queen of Heaven (Tian Hou) sit in the right and left wing altars of the Temple.
Yue Hai Qing Miao is a twin temple, built in the traditional classical design. It stands in the midst of the high rise buildings and is close to Raffles Place. Today, it is not easy to locate it but once it occupied a prominent position beside the sea. Traders returning to offer their prayers and gratitude for their safe arrival - such was the faith of our ancestors.