Temple started by Hindu workers in the Gas Depot nearby and Later managed bye trustees and finally V. Pakirisamy and his Brother Narayanasamy.
The Manmatha Karuneshvarar Temple was established soon after the Municipal Gasworks of depot was set up in Kallang Road. The Large number of Hindu employees started a shrine and installed the main deity to seek its protection as well as to sustain their Hindu traditions and values.
Though there were not many Hindus in Kallang and Kampong Bugis the Hindu employees of the Gas Depot had living quarters close to the Depot and so they built the shrine. At that time Indians were concentrated in Tanjong Pagar and Serangoon area.
It was only in 1909, the site, an area of 8255 square feet, was granted on government lease for 99 years made in favour of four persons; Soona Veloo Vendir, Nagalingam Kathiraysonm, Annamalai Mecppa Komarasamy and Veerapatra Mudaliar. When these died., V, Pakirisamy and his brother Narayanasany built the present Temple in 1937 at he request of the Hindu devotees. After the consecration ceremony in August 1937 a Committee of Management was formed with A.V. Irullappa Pillay, a foreman of the Municipal Gas Works, as chairman, In March 1937 three trustees were appointed by the Chief Justice of Singapore; they were V. Pakrisamy, V. Narayanasamy and Balakrishna Murugase Thirunalam.
Further renovations were carried out in 1974 and the sons of V. Parkirisamy are now managing the Temple.