Expansion of the Roman Catholic Church - the French Mission Singapore. It was gazette as a national monument on 6 July 1973

Stamford Raffles gave a Malacca priest land on a 999 year lease to build a Catholic Church in 1822. Rev Mgr Courvezy got the site from Bonham, the Resident Councilor. The present St Joseph's Institution stands on that site. The first Roman Catholic Chapel was a modest building which cost $700, met from public subscription; it had no tower or spire.

By the end of the 1830s Bishop Hilary Courvezy, Vicar Apostolic of Malaya, thought of extending the small chapel but Father Beurel persuaded him to keep the site for a school and select a different one for the Church.

The corner stone was laid by John Connolly on 18 th June 1843; a tablet in the Cathedral confirms this. The corner stone was blessed by Bishop Courvezy. A building appeal fund was launched in 1840.

The Cathedral was built to a design by Denis Leslie McSwiney. It was opened and blessed by Father J.N. Beurel, the parish priest on 6th June 1846. The building is in the form of a crucifix in Renaissance style - a steeple at one end and Greek pillars supporting the roof. The building cost $20,000. The steeple was added in 1847 by C.A. Dyce, Sheriff for the Settlements of Singapore, Malacca and Penang. The marble paving from Antwerp was installed in 1860; the nave was extended in 1888 and consecrated on 14th February 1897 by Bishop Rene Fee.

The relics of Saint Laurent Imbert, the first priest to visit the few Catholics in Singapore in December 1821, are preserved in the Cathedral.

During the Battle for Singapore the Cathedral was converted into an emergency hospital.