A symbol of the contribution of Chinese merchants to the social, cultural and economic prosperity of Singapore from the earliest times to the present day.

The foundation stone of the present building which houses the Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry was laid by Dato Lee Kong Chian on 15 September 1962 and officially opened by Mr Lee Kuan Yew, the Prime Minister, on 20 September, 1964.

The architecture of the building is a mix of Chinese and western. There are two dragon murals at the entrance to the building.

The old building which stood on the present site was the house of the pepper king Wee Ah Hood (1828-1875). It was built as a classical Chinese house and was leased to the Chinese Chamber of Commerce which was established in 1906. The pioneers who set this up included Seah, Tan Jiak Kim, Tan Yong Siak, Tan Keong Siak and Goh Siew Tin. At its inception the Chamber functioned from a room in the Thong Chai Medical Association in Wayang Street.

The Chinese government in Peking promoted the setting up of a commercial organization in Singapore. In 1906 the Chinese Consul-General formed the Chinese Commercial Association. In 1917 the name of this Association was changed to the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce.

The Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce building symbolizes the entrepreneurship and farsightedness of the Chinese and their contribution towards the prosperity of Singapore.