The first to be built in Singapore in 1819

High Street was the first street to be constructed in Singapore by the first town planner Lieutenant Henry Rafle, Gunnery Officer, Bengal Artilerry, East India Company. Rafle and his soldiers had to clear some part of the jungle near the shore to create a meeting place for the signing of the preliminary treaty with Temenggong Abdul Rahman in 1819.

In the same year Hill Street and North Bridge Road were laid out. The streets were simply named : Hill Street was at the foot of Government Hill, North Bridge Road because it was north of the Singapore River and later South Bridge Road because it was south of the River. When a new bridge was built the road was named New Bridge Road

High Street used to be the most import street in the city and was the main shopping centre before Orchard Road overtook it.

More : Street Names
Kadayanullur Street
Parsi Road
The History of Temple Street
Albert Street
High Street
About McNair Road @ Balestier
History of Clive Street in Little India
Tagore Avenue @ Teachers’ Estate
The History of Mountbatten Road
Chitty Road
About Eu Chin Street @ Chinatown
About Iqbal Avenue @ Teachers’ Estate
History of Minto Road
History of Hasting Road
Intellectual Estates in Singapore
Swiss Club Road

More
Singapore Guide
»Expatriate Guide
»Tourist Guide
»Local Guide
»Nightlife
»Valentine Guide
 

Getting to Satnam House (Former), 67 High Street

Click to share this Article »
0
Send this article