The oldest Anglican house of worship.
During Colonial era the Governor and other British Officials
Attended regular worship services here
Gazetted as a national monument on 6 July 1973

As early as 1823 Stamford Raffles, selected a site for an Anglican Church; this site adjoined the Plain (Padang).

The Jungle and an area occupied by European residents and sepoys had to be cleared for the construction of St Andrew's Church.

The foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1835. When the Church was under construction there were rumours that men were going round beheading people as thirty human heads had to be sacrificed to appease the spirits! The government offered a reward $500 for information on these rumour-mongers.

G.D Coleman was the architect who built the Church which was similar to St George's Church in Penang and St George's Cathedral in Madras. The Church of St Andrew was completed in 1834. It opened for services on 1 October 1834 and it was consecrated on 6 October 1834 by the Bishop of Calcutta. A spire was added by J.T.Thomson in 1842 because the Church looked like a Town Hall, College or Assembly Room. Before the erection of this Church the Anglican congregation worshipped in an overcrowded Chapel at the junction of Bras Basah Road and North Bridge Road.

The Church of St Andrew ws used until 1852 and after that it was considered unsafe for the congregation because it was in a dangerous state of disrepair, Further, it was also struck twice by lightning.

The architect of St Andrew's Cathedral was Colonel Ronald MacPherson of the Madras Army, A memorial cross to MacPherson still stands in the Cathedral grounds. The construction was in the hands of Captain McNair of the Royal Artillery who used Indian convicts for labour.

The architecture is early English Gothic. One of the interesting features of the Cathedral is the coating of the interior walls and pillars with a composition made from shell lime. This lime had been mixed with the whites of eggs and coarse sugar or jaggery and the paste was mix with water in which husks of coconuts had been soaked into it. The walls and pillars after a period of drying were rubbed with rock crystals or rounded stones until they took on a beautiful polish. They were dusted with fine soapstone powder leaving a remarkably smooth and glossy surface. The walls and pillars were so hard that it was almost impossible to drive a nail into them.

On 4 March 1856 Bishop Daniel Wilson laid the foundation stone and consecrated it in January 1862. The Cathedral was opened for services on 1 October 1861. In 1856 the St Andrew's Mission launched the 'First evangelistic outreach of the Anglican Church in Singapore and produced new congregations using Hokkien, Tamil and Malay in their worship.' In 1909 C.J. Ferguson-Davis became the first Bishop of Singapore.

The Central Light or window in the Cathedral was dedicated in 1861 to the memory of Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of modern Singapore.

A tablet in the Cathedral reads:

To the memory of Sir Stamford Raffles, Kt. The illustrious Founder of the Settlement of Singapore. This window is dedicated by the citizens A.D. 1861.

The window over the West Door commemorates Colonel MacPherson. In the North Aisle there is the memorial to those members of the congregation who died in the 1915 mutiny that broke out at Alexandra Barracks. Other tablets commemorate those who died during the Second World War. A bell presented to the Cathedral by Maria Revere, wife of Joseph Balestier, the first American Consul, and four Standards from Second World War formerly in the North Aisle are now in the National Museum.

In 1942 during the Japanese invasion of Singapore the Cathedral's nave was converted into a casualty station to care for the wounded and when all hospitals were overcrowded with the casualties by the constant bombing and artillery fire by the Japanese invaders. The Nave's floor was blood-stained and in the yard were bombed out military vehicles.

The Cathedral was open for worship during the Japanese invasion. General Percival attended a communion service on 15 February 1942 before he surrendered to the Japanese on that day.

Bishop Wilson and other European clergy worked in the Cathedral during the first year of the Japanese Occupation. However, in March 1943 Bishop Wilson was arrested and made a prisoner-of-war. Daily prayers were conducted for internees in Changi Gaol by Canon Jack Bennett and others responsible to Bishop Wilson who gave devoted service to all races in captivity.

Bishop Wilson was one of the 557 internees who were interrogated in the 'Double Tenth Incident' at Changi. The Japanese had suspected that a spy ring was operating in Changi Gaol and had assisted a daring British raid at the Singapore Harbour on Japanese Vessels which were sunk.

Normal worship services were resumed after the Japanese Surrender in 1945.

'…St Andrew's Cathedral will continue to be as it has been throughout its history. A centre of Christian outreach and witness to the whole of Singapore' (Frank Lomax - Vicar)