Conway City: Praiseworthy Evolution

By: Vivek Kuriyal
... Railroad in the area, Robinson deeded back a small portion to the railroad for developing a depot out there. He gradually started developing a town around the depot and named it Conway Station in the honor of a famous Arkansas family. There were only two small stores, two saloons, a depot, some temporary housing and a post office in the station. It flourished as a trade center for next many years. Large rural agriculture areas depended on Conway for their trading needs.

In 1890, Hendrix College came into being in the city. Just after three years in 1893, Central College for Girls was established and Conway was on its way of becoming a big education center. In 1907, The University of Central Arkansas started running as the Arkansas Normal School. The entire economy totally and firmly depended upon the agricultural and educational establishments. And it was so until World War II.Conway businessmen started diversifying the economy of the city after the World War II. Several small industries came into being in the city. Headquarters for the Office of Emergency Services, the Human Development Center, and the Arkansas Educational Television Network were some of the state institutions that were established in Conway city. The sizable, industrial / technological base put the city in complete equilibrium. Kimberly Clark, Amtran, Virco, Baldwin Piano, and Carrier are some of the industrial giants available in the city.

Travel and Leisure
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 

» More on Travel and Leisure
 



Share this article :
Click to see more related articles