A Vibrant Paint Job Is Not An Effective Mold Removal Solution

By: DLB777
Most everyone will have mold in their homes at some point or another. Mold is a naturally occurring phenomena that has been on Earth for millennia.

What triggers mold growth indoors is the presence of moisture or humidity. Common places where indoor mold grows include the bathroom or basement. If you have had water damage of any kind, you might find mold growth.

Besides allergic reactions and other potential health effects from exposure to indoor mold, mold is just plain ugly. No one wants it in the house.

We might be tempted to just paint over the mold and hope we don't see it again. Unfortunately, that doesn't get rid of the problem. The paint will start to peel and flake off, and you'll see the mold all over again. If the cause of moisture that fed the mold is not removed, no amount of painting will get rid of the problem.

You might need a professional cleaner to remove the mold, but if mold removal is something you'd like to try yourself to save some money, here are some tips (consult with your doctor, first, if you have any health conditions that might be triggered by the mold):

Cleaning Mold from Hard Surfaces

Use detergent and water to scrub mold off hard surfaces and dry the area completely when you're done. If this surface is an area that you will be painting, be sure that it is dry before you paint. Also, make sure that the source of moisture had been corrected.

Cleaning Up Mold Caused by a Sewage Backup or Flood Water

If the mold is caused by water damage from sewage backup or floodwater, disinfect the area by spraying or wiping the area with a diluted bleach solution. This bleach solution should consist of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Don't inhale bleach fumes and by all means, do not mix bleach with other chemicals or cleaners because you could create toxic fumes that are much more hazardous than the mold itself. Again, once you have removed the mold, make sure that the area where it was growing is completely dry.

Cleaning up Mold From Absorbent or Porous Material

Unfortunately, moldy absorbent or porous materials such as carpet or ceiling tiles may have to be thrown away. This is because mold can grow on or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous material and it may be difficult or impossible to remove the fungus completely.

Cosmetic Damages to Art or Other Items from Mold

Mold can stain or create cosmetic damage to art, furniture, rugs or other items. You might need a furniture repair, carpet cleaning, or restoration specialist to remove the mold and restore your favorite item.

Mold grows from moisture and thrives in humid environments. If you have a roof leak or leaking pipe, fix it as soon as possible so that mold does not have a chance to grow. The rule of thumb is to remove the source of moisture within 24-48 hours and mold will not have a chance to thrive. Be sure to ventilate bathrooms and kitchens. If you have a dank basement or other humid area in your house, you might want to consider installing a dehumidifier or air conditioning unit.
Home Improvement
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 
 • 

» More on Home Improvement