Unemployment Insurance Is As Essential As Life And Car Insurance

by : Simon Burgess

Just as you would protect your life and car by taking out insurance against the unexpected then you should also give some serious consideration to protecting your mortgage, loan and credit card repayments along with your income in case you should find yourself unemployed.

In a world where the unexpected frequently happens if you have a mortgage or loan and make repayments each month thought should be given as to where you would find the money to carry on repaying them if you were to lose your income. If you have mortgage repayments then you need to ensure you can repay them each month otherwise you are risking repossession of your home. Mortgage payment protection insurance (MPPI) taken out as unemployment cover can give you an income to replace your lost one. If its loan or credit card repayments you have to make then loan payment cover would do the same to make sure you had the money to repay them each month and not get behind and into debt. If you want to insure your income then income protection would allow you to insure your income up to a certain amount each month and this would allow you to continue living your lifestyle by paying your essential outgoings.

All protection insurance policies tend to work on the same principle in that you have to be out of work for a pre-determined amount of time before it will start paying out. Usually this can be anywhere between the 31st and 90th day of being continually out of work and would then continue providing you with an income for between 12 and 24 months depending on the provider.

Just as all policies have a waiting period before you can claim they all have exclusions within them that could mean unemployment insurance isn't the right product for your circumstances. Some of the most common reasons which stop people from being eligible to claim include only being in part time employment, suffering from an ongoing illness when taking out the cover, being retired or self-employed. While these are all common there can be others depending on the provider, so it is essential to check out the small print of any policy you are considering buying.

Taking out the cover with a standalone specialist provider is the best option as opposed to taking it out alongside the loan or mortgage. Policies sold with the high street lender and alongside loans and mortgage are what has earned the product a bad name and which have been associated with mis-selling.

If you want to avoid the high premiums and poor selling techniques which were a focus of investigations into the sector recently by the Financial Services Authority and currently, the Competition Commission, then stick with someone who specialises in payment protection products for your policy. It was the high street lenders who received fines by the Financial Services Authority during the investigation not the specialists and it is important to remember that it isn't the product that is at fault but the firms who have little or no experience in selling unemployment insurance.