Catholic education for all girls.
A French Roman Catholic Institution: School, Chapel and Convent. The most famous of the Roman Catholic Girls Schools in Singapore

H.C.Caldwell, Senior Sworn Clerk to the Magistrates built the house between 1840 and 1841. He owned the house until August 1852 when he sold it to Father J. M. Beurel, a French priest for 4,000 Spanish dollars. Father Beurel built the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus in 1854.

G.D. Coleman, Singapore's first architect designed the house in neoclassical style. Caldwell's House has the hallmarks of Coleman's style.

The Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus moved to Toa Payoh and the Chapel has been leased to a private enterprise to retain the beautiful chapel and usage suitable to an old religious institution.