Centre for early immigrants from Nan Ann Town in Fukien Province and a house of worship

This Temple was gazetted as a national monument on 10 November 1979

The original Hon San See Temple was erected in 1829 on Tras Street in Tanjong Pagar. It was used as a gathering place for immigrants from Nan Ann Town in Fukien Province. It is an example of an early Chinese organization which assisted Chinese to settle in Singapore.

The present Temple in Mohamed Sultan Road was built between 1908 and 1912 at a cost of $56,000. It replaced the Temple at Tras Street when the government took over the land for a road-widening project. The land on which the Temple now stands was bought from Tomlinson, an Englishman.

The Temple was built by Lim Law, a well-known building contractor who had helped to erect Victoria Memorial Hall and other buildings around Empress Place

Architecturally it is a syncretic Temple, that is, it is in the midst of several warehouse and a few roads named after Indians e.g. Muthuraman Chetty Road and Kanisha Marican Road which played a significant role in early Singapore and still does. The most prominent of the Nan Ann community was Dato Lee Kong Chian. The Temple is still owned and managed by the Nan Ann Huay Kwan.