Reflection of Singapore's Economic prosperity and link with Malaya (Singapore's hinterland) in the early years

In 1902 the main railway station was at Tank Road. Eight trains ran daily to Woodlands Station;  from there a steam ferry took passengers across the Straits of Johore to Johore Bahru from 1903. A train would travel from Tank Road; it then cut through Emerald Hill to Monk's Hill Estate and on to Newton Circus and Bukit Timah Road Station. 

From there it proceeded straight across the plain towards Bukit Timah Hill. Winding round the foot of the hill, the train glided through gambier, pepper and pineapple plantations past Bukit Panjang Station to Kranji and thence to Woodlands.

Between 1906 and 1907 an extension line was laid to link Pulau Saigon, People's Park, Duxton Hill and Alexandra Barracks.

For the railway link between Singapore and Johore Bahru across the Straits of Johore, land was sold by the Singapore government to the Federated Malay States for $4,136,000. Work on a Causeway was begun in 1919 and the railway link was open for traffic in 1923. This linked the Malayan hinterland to Singapore.

Keppel Railway Station was completed in 1932 after three years of construction by the Federated Malay States (formed in 1896, a loose union of Perak, Selangor, Negri Sembilan and Pahang).

Keppel Railway Station was officially opened by Governor Sir Cecil Clementi Smith in 1932.The dignified building in classical style was influenced by Eliel Saarinen's Helsenki Station. The façade has four heroic figures representing Commerce, Agriculture, Industry and Shipping.

Opening the Railway station the Governor said it would be 'a terminus of world importance.' His words became a reality.