Contribution of the Anglican Mission to education;; school started by Asians unlike other Mission and government school in Singapore

Anglican Chaplains like Rev R.S. Hutchings and Rev F.J. Darral played a significant role in setting up Government Free School. London Missionary Society had also established a number of good schools in the Straits Settlements. St Margaret's School the oldest Girls School was founded in 1842 by Mrs Dyer.

Anglican School for boys was first founded between 1850 and 1860 as a private school in Chin Chew Street, Chinatown by Sim Quee and Tye Kim. Later on 8 September 1862 it became St Andrew's School and functioned with Sim Quee as the first Headmaster. This is unique among Mission and Government schools in Singapore. The next year St Andrew's Church Mission took over the School and it moved to new premises in Upper Hokkien Street.

Though no financial support was given by the Church from 1866, Cheok Loy Fatt the new Headmaster managed the School which was popularly known as 'Sekolah Loy Fatt'. In the 1870s the School received government grants.

In 1872 the School moved to Victoria Street and the enrolment increased from 76 to 120 largely by the work of Rev W.H. Gomes the School's Superitendent but Cheok Loy Fatt was still the Headmaster. By 1873 there was the need for larger premises and government granted nearly 4 acres of land in Stamford Road at foot of Government Hill (Fort Canning) - today the site occupied by the national Museum. The School's Chapel was built first on 14 February 1875 and the school shifted from Victoria Street to hold classes in the Chapel. In 1878 he Missionary House was completed; in 1900 the Lower Elementary School Building was erected and 15 years later the School's Hall came into being.

When Rev Gomes died in 1902 Rev J. Romanis Lee who succeeded him was responsible for the modern characteristics of the School. Though new classrooms were added, St Andrew's was still a second grade School. In 1915 St Andrew's offered its first candidates for the Senior Cambridge Examination; previously the pupils went to Raffles Institution for secondary education.

St Andrew's introduced Boxing and Rugger; the School excelled in both games. This was largely due to teacher Rev Canon R.K.S. Adams in 1930 and 1933 respectively; he later served as Headmaster from 1934 to 1956.

By 1937 there was the need again to put up new buildings for the School. The government offered the Mission two sites: one at Tanjong Katong Road and the other at Serangoon Road near the old Serangoon Post Office. Both the sites proved unsuitable for the type of School buildings envisaged by the Mission.

In 1938 Woodsville Estate comprising 18.5 acres of land was purchased for $60,000. The new School buildings were completed and officially opened by S.W.Jones, the Officer Administering the Government, on 29 July 1940.

In 1940 Rev Canon D.D.Chelliah became Headmaster of the Upper School; previously he had served 26 years in the Anglo-Chinese School, Penang.

Japanese invasion began on 8 December 1941 when the Senior Cambridge Examinations were held in the School.

The School was damaged and most of its furniture was looted during the Japanese Occupation. Several of the staff died; some in Changi Gaol and other in the Siam Death Railway.

After the World War II St Andrew's was the first to be re-opened.

The new secondary School buildings and the Chapel are located in Potong Pasir. The foundation stone was laid by Rt Rev Dr Moses Tay Leng Koy, Bishop of Singapore, on 11 January 1986 and the buildings were completed on 31 July. The old buildings at Woodsville are occupied by the Primary School.