LICH GATE in front of the Church was built by British Prisoners of war during Japanese Occupation of Singapore.

Gazetted as a national monument on 10 November 1978

The British Army in Singapore required a new Church in Tanglin Barracks to replace the old one built in 1884.

Captain Stanbury of the Royal Engineers began work on the new Church in 1910 and the total cost of the building was £2,000. St George's Church was completed in 1913.

The exterior of St George's Church is austere with its red bricks with minimal white decoration. The simple cross is conspicuous. The interior is of brickwork and has stained glass windows. Just before the British surrendered to the Japanese in February 1942, the original stained glass was buried somewhere in the Church grounds and was never recovered after the Japanese Surrender.

During the Japanese Occupation, the Japanese used the Church as an ammunition dump.

After the return of the British a re-dedication ceremony was held on 10 November 1946. On 29 June 1947 Field Marshall Montgomery on his visit to Singapore read the lesson at the morning prayer.

Tanglin Barracks became the headquarters of the Singapore Ministry of Defence until it moved to its present site at Gombak. St George's Church continues its regular Worship services. Today at the annex in the rear of the Church functions a kindergarten.

When the British Army withdrew in 1971, St George's Church became a civilian Church.

The original Lich Gate (the replica is in front of the Church) was built in December 1942 by British prisoners of war of the 18th Division at Changi Camp and it was placed at the camp cemetery. After the war the graves were resited in the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Kranji and the Gate was removed and taken to St George's Church. With the British Army's withdrawal from Singapore, the Lich Gate was dismantled and shipped to Britain. A replica, the present one, was erected and dedicated on 2 December 1984 to commemorate the centenary of the building of the first St George's Church.