Coffee Maker Glossary

Coffee has its own language . Some of the terms that are frequently used are as follows:

Auto Frother: used to automatically froth milk for cappuccinos and lattes

Automatic Drip Coffee Maker: a machine used to automatically heat water and filter through coffee.

Automatic Espresso Machine and Coffee Maker: as the name itself says this is an espresso machine having controllable, programmable coffee dosing.

Bean to Cup: Machines having Bean To Cup will usually have the capacity to do everything from grinding the beans to filling a cup with coffee.

Boiler: It is the steam machine inside coffee maker. These large boilers are usually more powerful and produce more hot water for beverages.

Boiler Element: It is an element that heats boilers in electric espresso coffee makers.

Cappuccino: A beverage based on Italian espresso.

Cup Warmer: Here the cups are placed for warming. It is a metal portion at the top of the espresso coffee maker.

Dosing: it is the amount of grams or brewed coffee per cup.

Drip Tray: it is the part of espresso coffee maker where the coffee cup sits for filling.

Espresso: it is a rich Italian black coffee preceded with speciality coffees.

Filter Basket: A filter made up of metal where grounds are placed for brewing.

Filtered Method: the process of seperating coffee from water.

French Press: A cylindrical coffee maker in which ground coffee is steeped then filtered. Coffee grounds are pushed to the bottom of the pot with the plunger. Coffee stays in the top of the pot.

Fully Automatic Espresso Machine and Coffee Maker: machines which helps in automatically managing the brewing process.

Grind: the process of preparing coffee beans for coffee brewing is called Grinding.

Group: The part of Espresso coffee maker used to brew coffee.

Group Handle: Portion of espresso coffee maker used to hold the filter basket that ground coffee goes into.

Heat Exchanger: helps in heating water for coffee without taking water from the boiler.

Hopper: This is the portion of grinder that holds coffee beans.

Knock-out Box: It is a container used to remove the used coffee grounds from group handle.

Latte: A beverage that is prepared on mixing one quarter coffee, three quarters of steamed, hot milk with little froth.

Mocha: This is the term used to describe a hot beverage made from espresso, chocolate and milk.

Moka Pot: Classic Italian espresso-maker used on top of the stove.

Percolator: A type of coffee maker that runs water continuously through the coffee grounds to make coffee.

Pour/Pour Speed/Pour Time: It is defined as the amount of time required to pour coffee from group into cup. Should be 25 to 30 seconds for espresso.

Pump: This is the device that moves water through the coffee maker.

Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine and Coffee Maker: machine without pre-set dosing capability.

Steam Arm/Wand: metal tube delivering steam to froth milk.

Super Automatic Espresso Machine and Coffee Maker: the brewing process from coffee bean to fresh cup of coffee in addition to other features such as a water filter is being automatically managed by this machine.

Tamping: process of pressing ground coffee into filter basket.

Vacuum coffee maker: machine using vacuum process to make coffee.

Traditional espresso coffee maker: a traditional way of preparing coffee without using bean to cup automated model.

Water Filter: filters dirts from water for better coffee taste.

Water Font: nozzle used to dispense water from machine boiler.

Water Softener: This is a must have for anyone using hard water as it filters lime and minerals from water, preventing build up of scales in the coffee maker.

Users Reading this article are also interested in:
Top Searches on Gourmet Coffee:
Automatic Espresso Coffee Maker Coffee Espresso Machine Maker
About The Author, Ian Traynor
The Author has been an enthusiastic coffee drinker
all his life! Find more of his tips on how to make
REALLY good coffee at <a href= "">Coffee Maker Secrets</a>